Thursday, October 14, 2010

Buying Milk

Ever since I was told fresh milk is much better than formula milk, I have switched the kids to taking fresh milk. The boy is on full fresh milk, while they girl I still let her continue taking the Sustagen Chocolate Milk to school. The Chinese shop nearby office is selling the fresh milk at a very reasonable price. I started with getting Dutch Lady brand fresh milk, then not too long after that I switched to Farm House brand as it is of better quality.

About 3 months ago, the Chinese shop changed ownership. During that time, the old owner told us the new owner will continue selling the Farm House fresh milk. Then the new owner took over, and they did sell Farm House fresh milk for a while. Just for a short while. At first, we waited for almost a month for them to re-supply the stock. For I think about a month or two, we get to buy the Farm House fresh milk from this Chinese shop. But just for a month or two. Just before Hari Raya, it was out of stock again. Until now! It was so inconvenient for us. We were searching everywhere for fresh milk. And lots of time, we have to revert to Dutch Lady Brand; sometimes we even have to buy the pasteurized fresh milk which is lower quality.

Besides that, only certain items they maintain same price as the previous owner. Some other items the price is slightly higher; or without the bulk purchase discount. The new owner also is less friendly. In fact, I don't think I ever seen the owner. Those people in the shop are just the staffs. The cashier looks like foreign worker to me. They do not smile and do not greet the customers. Sometimes I can see few Chinese staff around, but not all the time. This shop is just one of the branches. I heard that HQ is in PJ Old Town. Unlike previous owner, where it was a family business, the people are very friendly. It is not just me, even my colleague also prefers the previous owner.

In summary, I don't see the change in ownership is good for the existing customers. Nowadays I will only go there to buy food that I could not get from the Chinese shop near my house. I prefer those shops run by family. The Chinese shop near my house is smaller but they are very friendly people. They can recognize us easily. The kids love them as they are so friendly and very helpful too. Unfortunately they don't sell fresh milk. Their price is also slightly cheaper by around 50 cent. I like to give them business because of their good service and friendliness. Within one year, their shop expanded from one shop lot to two shop lots. In this competitive environment, I believe reasonable price and good customer service is the key to keep the customers happy and loyal to you.

2 comments:

Small Kucing said...

But sometimes small shop can be LCLY also. Just like the mini market at my haouse here. The owner quite LC coz he used to monopoly the business aorund here. Now 99 speedmart opened just next door to his shop. Bad me laughing behind the door. wakakakaka. Can see the mini market changed. Used to close by 9pm. Now stayed open until after 10pm. Just to compete with 99 speedmart

Kyn said...

Oh yeah nowadays lots of 99 Speedmart around the housing area. Near my house also got 1. The prices are very reasonable too. There are many Chinese shops near my house actually. But I only like this particular one. As I said, the people there are very friendly. :)