Friday, February 18, 2011

My 2011 CNY

Time flies. CNY for year 2011 finally is over. Ever since I get married, I stop enjoying CNY for many reasons. Not because of the extra expenses although it double my monthly expenses. But more on me don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

When I was young, during CNY everyone sure goes back to visit my paternal grandparents, who were residing with my youngest uncle during that time. I get to meet up with all my cousins. Despite we all have met up in the youngest uncle house, later my parents would still take us to go visit each uncle family one by one. And also it was only during CNY I get to eat those cookies, prawn crackers and not to forget soft drinks like coke. Other time, we don't get to eat and drink this kind of food. I miss those house to house visiting actually, miss meeting up with family members that we don't get to see very often.

However not everyone like to do visiting. There are some people, during CNY is staying at home waiting for people to come visit only. But then how many people will come visit you on first 2 days of CNY, except relatives? And how about if most of your relatives are at different town?

The only thing I'm glad is, both me and hubby are local and we don't have to travel far during CNY. No need to worry about stuck at the traffic jam in the highway, planning what time should leave, packing and unpacking, and not to forget lots of laundry after coming home.

This year CNY I'm determine to make myself enjoy the celebration. Every year CNY Day 1, after having lunch with the MIL and BIL family, I and hb will take the kids to my relatives' house. Ever since my paternal grandparents passed away few years back, all my uncles will gather at my aunt's house after lunch. And then, they will proceed to visit my grand uncle and lastly stop at my elder uncle's house. For the past 3 years, we were running late and we missed the stop at my aunt's house. This year we manage to get there before everyone leave to visit my grand uncle. I only get to meet all my uncles and aunty once a year during CNY. I really don't want to miss the opportunity to meet up with them. Some of my uncles leave quite far away so it always the best I get to meet all of them in one place. And what more, the kids get to meet up with their grand uncles and grand aunty. It is also a chance for me to meet up with my cousins and catch up with them.

This year, surprisingly MIL did not do any cooking at all. For the 3 days (CNY Eve Reunion dinner, CNY Day 1 lunch and dinner and CNY Day 2 lunch) we either dined out or packed from outside.

This year, I have many new records as compared to previous years CNY. I have done most visiting this year. 9 out of the 15days were spent visiting. Until the kids asks us almost everyday "mommy, today got kai kai?" We went to places that we have never been and solely rely on the Google maps since we don't have GPS. We get to meet up with most friends, even some that I don't get to meet for few years back. We even travel 1 hour just to go meet up and lou sang with some friends. Until the kids keep on asking us "mommy are we there yet? Why so long one?" LOL! I also gave most angpow away this year, until I don't have enough small notes and have to change with my mom. While in the past, I always have half the small notes left.

Lou sang is a MUST for me for CNY. I love yee sang and it is only available during CNY.

Overall, despite some "rushing hours" as we went to do the visiting after dinner during working days, it was quite a relaxing CNY to me.

4 comments:

Small Kucing said...

Eh the Yee Sang at the top left very interesting looking.

I am one of those who prefer to stay home and hide.

Kyn said...

That one is from Japanese restaurant. So not entirely same without those from Chinese restaurant one.

Staying at own house and hide is perfectly OK with me too. Not if you need to stay at someone's else home.

elliecleffairy said...

LOL...I prefer to stay home and hide too... as long as at my own house...in laws house... aiyo, not really. My MIL is like urs.... expect everyone to go her house and greet her while herself doesn't do any visiting. Nobody goes her house...sometimes...u got to give and take. If you don't give, how to receive, right? Well, too bad...not everyone likes to give all the time and receive nothing...

Kyn said...

Cleffairy,

My MIL does not go visiting and hardly anyone come visit also. I know there are some relatives in KL but I hardly met them (can calculate using one hand in these 5 years). To be honest, I don't even know who they are. At least I try my best to bring my children to meet my uncles and aunt every year. Now the girl at her age now, she can remember visited the grand uncles and she even asks us to bring her to their house again.

To me, CNY is a good time for me to pay visit to those friends and relatives that I can hardly meet during the year due to our busy schedule. We normally hold a gathering so we get to meet as many as possible by just going to one house.